Saturday, December 8, 2007

How to Deal With Anxiety


It's funny, here I have just uploaded my sermon and powerpoint for tomorrow, and the weatherman is forecasting a major 1/2" ice storm. Already the side streets are iced over. I guess I should be anxious and all worried. Funny, I'm preaching from Phil 4:4-9, about how to deal with ANXIETY! Ironic isn't it? My wife (she will deny this if you ask her) is telling me to call off church. I even had a call from a member about what the procedure is for bad weather. Being the macho manly Pastor I said there is no procedure.
I will be at church. I don't cancel church.
I will leave an hour early in order to get there if I have to.
Am I being stupid? Am I being senselessly brave? Am I trying to make people feel they are a lesser mortal? I don't know. I just don't think we should cancel morning worship. Sunday night or Wednesday may be OK from time to time, but never Sunday morning.
Am I all anxious about tomorrow? Surprisingly not. If I make it to church I make it. If I'm stuck in a ditch somewhere, it won't be that far to walk. I guess I'll wear socks just in case. If anyone shows up, we'll have a living sermon on dealing with anxiety. Aren't those the ones that really impact us?

No comments: