Monday, November 26, 2007

Looking Back to Look Forward


I found some pictures of my wife when she was 16. They reminded me of how I practically fell in love with her at first sight. The sweetness of her spirit that captured my heart that afternoon in September 1973 was clearly seen in her expressions in those photos a year earlier.
I also found a paper she had written about seven questions young girls should answer if they are to have lives of charm and grace. These questions are forgotten in teaching teen age girls of the 21st century. Perhaps that is why we are not raising young women of charm and grace any more. We are raising women to be aggressive, assertive and narcissistic.

Here are the "seven questions of vital importance" she had to answer in her course on charm and grace:
  1. Am I committing any known sin?
  2. Am I living in obedience to God's Word?
  3. Am I spending time each day in prayer?
  4. Am I a diligent student of God's word?
  5. Am I confessing God publicly?
  6. Am I giving liberally as God prospers me?
  7. Am I doing something definite for the Lord Jesus Christ?
Something beautiful in that young girl's spirit captured my heart that afternoon. It was obviously the result of the grace of God working in her life. God brought us together and now we include Him in our family gatherings. Our six children, plus their four spouses and now seven grand children are all given to the grace of God. It is He that has and will continue to capture their hearts for Jesus Christ.
I will continue to praise God for His work of grace in my life and my family!

No comments: